Glengyle Distillery is located on the corner of Glebe Street and Glengyle Road, just down the road from Springbank in Campbeltown and was founded by William Mitchell in 1872. Throughout the years, it has changed hands many times between been mothballed and in November 2000, 75 years after Glengyle had last produced spirit, it was purchased by a new company, Mitchell’s Glengyle Limited (owners of Springbank Distillery), headed by Mr Hedley Wright, the great-great nephew of William Mitchell who totally re-planned the site as the first new Scottish distillery of the millennium.
Today, the distillery creates Kilkerran whisky. The name ‘Kilkerran’ is used for two reasons. Firstly, because the name Glengyle is already used for a blended Highland malt and Mitchell’s Glengyle Ltd were not able to purchase the rights to use that name that is owned by Loch Lomond Distillers.
Secondly, and more importantly, Mitchell’s Glengyle Ltd are very proud to be continuing and adding to the great Campbeltown Distilling tradition and the choice of name reflects that. Kilkerran is derived from the Gaelic ‘Ceann Loch Cille Chiarain’ which is the name of the original settlement where Saint Kerran had his religious cell and where Campbeltown now stands. Kilkerran is thought to be a suitable name for a new Campbeltown malt since it was unusual for the old Campbeltown
Showing all 2 results